From the end of summer, the harvesting season for the winter begins. And at the same time, you always want to preserve the beneficial properties of the product. Let's analyze the method of pickling tomatoes in a saucepan. This is a fairly easy process and rest assured that pickling will retain all the benefits of this vegetable.
Pickling is a way of preserving vegetables by lactic acid fermentation. During the cooking process, lactic acid is formed, which has a preservative effect. Moreover, with a normal blockage, the formation of the same acid occurs. But when fermented, more useful elements are retained.
What kind of dishes should I prefer?
According to the principle of preparation, it does not matter in which container you are fermenting the tomato. You can cook tomatoes for the winter in a bucket, jar, basin, barrel, and so on. Choose dishes in which it will be convenient for you to do this.
There are also no restrictions on the volume of the selected container.
It is necessary to take a saucepan with the calculation of the amount of vegetables that you plan to ferment. That is, you should not take a five-liter container if you have only one kilogram of tomato, or vice versa, too small for a large amount of vegetables.
You also need to take into account the fact that you will need to place the selected container with already fermented tomatoes in a cold room or refrigerator.
Choose based on the size of the storage space you choose.
There are several ways to ferment a tomato in a saucepan. Here's a quick look at the most popular easy-to-cook recipes.
IMPORTANT! All recipes are designed for an average of a three-liter saucepan. There may be a slight variation in the required amount of tomatoes, depending on their size.
With cold water
For cooking you need:
- Medium tomatoes - 2 kg.
- Garlic - 5 cloves.
- Horseradish - 1 sheet.
- Dill inflorescence - 1 pc.
- Currant or cherry leaf - 1 pc.
- Vinegar - 20 ml.
- Salt - 1 teaspoon.
- Sugar is a pinch.
- First, wash the tomatoes well.
- Wipe them dry and make a puncture at the location of the stalk.
- Then put the dill and horseradish on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the tomato in a saucepan. So that the vegetables fit snugly together. But without violating their integrity.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Then fill in with clean water at room temperature and cover the pan with a lid.
- And it remains to wait for readiness. This will take about two days.
ATTENTION! Choose slightly unripe vegetables for fermentation. The crust should be firm enough. Otherwise, you will get tomato gruel. Also choose fruits without cracks and visible defects.
Now you know how to ferment tomatoes with cold water.
A detailed video about cold sourdough:
- Tomatoes of the same size - 2 kg.
- Dill - 25 g.
- Bay leaf - 3 pcs.
- Currant and cherry leaves - 2 pcs.
For the marinade:
- Salt is a teaspoon.
- Black peppercorns - 5 pcs.
- Sugar - 2.5 tablespoons
- Mustard powder - a teaspoon.
- Water - 1 liter.
- We take clean tomatoes and spread in one layer on the bottom of the pan.
- After we put fruit leaves and lavrushka.
- And we spread the remaining tomatoes.
To prepare the marinade you need:
- To boil water.
- Add salt, sugar and pepper to it.
- After the brine has boiled for five minutes, add the mustard.
- After everything is dissolved, remove the brine from the heat.
- After it cools down, pour it over the tomatoes.
- Place a lid on the pot and refrigerate. Cooking time is about two days.
For cooking, you need to prepare:
- Medium tomatoes - 2 kg.
- Salt - 1 kg.
- Horseradish leaves - 3 pcs.
- Dill umbrellas - 3 pcs.
- Currant and cherry leaves - 6 pcs.
- Do the same with the tomato as for the cold method.
- Place currant leaves, cherries, horseradish and dill umbrellas on the bottom of the pan.
- After tightly placing, place the tomatoes in the pan.
- Put a press on the tomatoes for 24 hours.
- Then place the pot in the refrigerator.
- The appetizer is ready.
If you washed the vegetables well before souring, then keeping the snack container in a cool place will not spoil it for a long time. Pickled tomatoes should always be stored at low temperatures... To do this, place them in a cellar or refrigerator.
In case guests suddenly come by, you can always get a jar of pickled tomatoes and surprise with a simple but interesting dish.
Tomatoes prepared in this way can become both an independent snack and be part of any dishes.
- There is a pickle recipe with the addition of pickled tomatoes.
- Such tomatoes can also be added to borscht to taste.
- Pickled tomatoes will perfectly complement vegetable salads.
Pickled tomatoes are an excellent independent snack, even on a festive table. Choose a convenient recipe for their preparation and please your loved ones with delicious food. That being said, don't be afraid to experiment with spices. Perhaps you will have your own unique sourdough recipe. Now you don't have to worry about preserving the beneficial qualities of the vegetable, since pickling will preserve them.