Cabbage leaf is an inexpensive and effective remedy in the fight against various diseases. It has analgesic, tonic, anti-inflammatory effects and has been used in folk medicine since time immemorial.
Cabbage not only tastes good, but is also very useful for the human body. It can be used not only internally, but cabbage leaves can also be used as an external remedy. More information about the beneficial effect of cabbage leaves, what trace elements they contain and how to use it is described in detail in this article.
What type of cabbage is used for medicinal purposes?
There are many types of cabbage, but the most widespread is cabbage. Cabbage is a biennial plant belonging to the Cabbage or Cruciferous family. Differs in large juicy leaves, which are mainly used for food.
In addition to cooking (cabbage recipes can be found here), cabbage (mainly white cabbage) is widely used in folk medicine for both internal and external use. This is due to the presence in the composition of a wide range of useful vitamins, and availability.
White cabbage contains:
- carbohydrates (sucrose, fructose, glucose);
- carotenoids (organic pigments that color plants red, yellow and orange);
- thiocyanates (salts);
- thioglycoside progontrin.
The special value of cabbage lies in its diverse set of vitamins and elements, such as:
- vitamin C;
- acids: nicotinic, folinic, folic, pantogenic;
- mineral salts of potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, calcium;
- trace elements: tin, lead, silver, copper, iodine, etc.
Reference! 16 amino acids are found in cabbage. Due to its rich chemical composition, cabbage has taken an important place among the remedies of traditional medicine.
Next, you can see a photo of green cabbage leaves:
Benefit and harm
Cabbage leaves are very beneficial for your health. Fiber contained in fiber helps to remove toxins from the body, lowers cholesterol, cleanses blood vessels and has a strong diuretic effect, relieving puffiness. Thanks to vitamin U, cabbage leaf is effective in the prevention and treatment of peptic ulcer disease.
Important! In the treatment of ulcers, cabbage leaf is used only boiled.
Tartronic acid, which is rich in cabbage, contributes to the process of losing weight by reducing body fat, by preventing the conversion of carbohydrates into fats. In addition to all of the above, cabbage leaf is effective for heartburn, diabetes mellitus, gallstone disease, etc.
The harmful manifestations of the properties of cabbage leaves include:
- Decreased sperm production in men with frequent consumption of cabbage.
- Harm in late stage peptic ulcer disease.
- Negative effect in diseases of the thyroid gland.
Despite all the useful qualities of this vegetable, you should carefully study the list of contraindications before including it in your diet. You should be allergic to the use of cabbage leaves.
Read more about the benefits and dangers of cabbage in this article.
How is it used in traditional medicine?
Due to its rich vitamin composition, cabbage leaf is used to treat many diseases. Compresses are made, juice and fiber are used. External and internal use of cabbage is supported by many recipes of traditional medicine.
External use in the form of a compress for a child and an adult
Knowing about the beneficial properties of cabbage, it is important to use it correctly for treatment:
- For the compress, cabbage of late ripening is taken, because the early one does not have all the medicinal properties.
- A leaf is separated from the head of cabbage and thoroughly washed with water. It is not necessary to remove the veins as they contain the most useful substances.
- The thickness of the compress should be at least 1 cm, so you can attach several leaves.
- When the required thickness is reached, a film is placed over the leaves.
- The compress is tightly applied to the sore spot and fixed with a bandage.
Usually the leaf is applied overnight, but if there is no unpleasant smell, it can be left on for a day. Do not be afraid if the leaves turn the color of blood or pus during the first applications, you can follow the healing process by these secretions. The treatment is considered successful if the color ultimately remains natural.
You will need a cabbage leaf and honey:
- The sheet is washed and briefly dipped in boiling water, after which it is smeared with honey on one side.
- The lubricated side of the sheet is applied to the chest or back, leaving the heart area open.
- From above, the compress is fixed with a dense cloth.
Rarely, an allergic reaction to honey may occur.
Relieve swelling in the lower extremities
- For a compress for edema, the upper large leaves will be required, which must be kneaded or beaten off with a meat hammer to let the juice out. The streaks can be removed to avoid the discomfort of pressure on the skin.
- Finished leaves are applied to the shins and ankles, and fixed with a film (if the compress is short-term) or a bandage (if for the whole night).
Attention! it is not recommended to fix the compress at night with a film, because it does not allow air to pass through and can cause tissue overheating.
Crushed cabbage leaves are effective in removing bruises. They are applied to the damaged area and tightly fixed with an elastic bandage. For this procedure, dense, fresh and, preferably, young cabbage leaves are taken and crushed with a crush until a gruel is formed. It is the juice released from this vegetable that has a healing and cosmetic effect on the skin.
Compresses must be changed periodically, waiting time before approaches. Helps with bruises and bruises, by breaking a stagnant hematoma.
From sore throat
For purulent sore throat, juicy cabbage leaves have long been used. They are applied to the tonsil area and are changed every 2 hours. Cabbage is believed to effectively draw pus out of the throat and relieve pain. You can enhance the effect and lubricate the throat with honey before applying the leaves. It is advisable to start the procedure in the early stages of the disease.
Before starting treatment, you need to know exactly what mastopathy is taking place. It is important to see a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.
- Medium cabbage leaves from the middle of the head are used for treatment. You can remove streaks and seals and let the juice flow.
- The leaves are applied to the chest for the whole day (or night) and fixed with a bra or bandage.
About whether the breast grows from cabbage is described in this material.
With diathesis in children
Diathesis often occurs in young children and is treated with cabbage leaves. To do this, the leaves are boiled in milk with the addition of bran, then thoroughly crushed, and the resulting gruel is applied to the affected areas for 10-15 minutes.
Cabbage leaf wrap is effective in treating arthrosis. It is important to keep the joints warm by using plastic wrap and woolen cloth.
Outwardly like a face mask
Reference! Cabbage is extremely effective when used as a face mask. Both fresh and sauerkraut, and white cabbage and seaweed are suitable.
There are many recipes and they are all aimed at eliminating skin problems (for example, acne, dryness, wrinkles). The simplest and most effective recipes include the following:
- Well washed, fresh, chopped cabbage leaves are thoroughly mixed with 1 tablespoon of sour cream and 1 egg yolk.
- The resulting liquid greenish mass is applied to the skin of the face, excluding the area around the eyes. Leave the mask on your face for no more than 30 minutes.
The procedure is carried out up to 3 times a week and, if necessary, the effect is fixed with a light face cream. The cream should be applied to dry skin, also bypassing the area around the eyes.
For oral administration
For consumption, the vegetable is fermented, boiled and made into juice. Before use, it is necessary to study contraindications. Cabbage broth is used for the prevention and treatment of diseases such as:
- flu, etc.
It is very easy to prepare the broth: 200 grams of cabbage are poured with 4 glasses of water and cooked over low heat for 15 minutes. Cabbage juice also aids in the weight loss process. It is only necessary to drink half a glass of juice three times a day, half an hour before meals, which will dull the feeling of hunger and start the process of producing digestive enzymes.
How can the effectiveness of treatment be improved?
The effectiveness of treatment increases with the use of auxiliary ingredients, such as: honey, carrots, beets, apples, kefir, oil, salt, etc. Depending on the disease, a specific recipe is used.
Possible side effects
Side effects from using cabbage leaves include:
- Bloating and gas formation, disturbances in the functioning of the intestines due to excessive consumption of vegetables or improper preparation of the broth.
- Individual intolerance.
- Response to treatment for diseases incompatible with the use of cabbage (for example, pancreatitis).
In general, it should be noted that cabbage is practically harmless with the right approach to its use. Cabbage is a unique vegetable that has found application in various industries. Its medicinal properties have been confirmed for centuries, and its popularity does not fall due to its effectiveness and ease of use.