Boltex carrots are a versatile crop and, due to their high yield, their taste and ability to long-term storage, are among the top ten varieties.
The ancestor of the species grows in the vastness of France. On the basis of the original breed, breeders created this species and adapted it to the natural and climatic conditions of Russia, made it resistant to rot and some garden pests.
The Boltex variety is very unpretentious. In order to harvest a rich harvest of carrots, you just need to prepare the land in a timely manner and plant the seeds in time.
Detailed characteristics and description of the variety
- The appearance of the plant. Root crop in the form of a cone with a rounded end in bright orange color. The surface of the carrot is even and smooth, the flesh is juicy and firm, and the core is almost absent. Fruit length varies from 15 to 23 cm. The tops are semi-vertical, strong and dark green in color.
- Variety type. Boltex carrots are an improved and improved type of the Shantane cultivar.
- The amount of fructose and beta-carotene. The content of carotene per 100 g of the product is up to 13 mg, the sugar content of fructose is from 5.5 to 7%.
- Sowing time. Sowing works are carried out in early spring and late autumn, depending on the region of the country. In the southern latitudes, the planting of agricultural crops begins earlier than in the northern ones.
- Seed germination. Seeds sprout within 2-3 weeks.
- Average weight of 1 root vegetable. The average weight of a root crop is 150-200 grams.
- Productivity. The plant gives a high yield, up to 80 tons of carrots are removed from 1 hectare.
- The purpose of the variety and keeping quality. Boltex is grown for use in the spring-summer period in a fresh "vitamin" form and harvested for storage in bins. Carrots are used in the food industry, animal husbandry, cosmetology and pharmaceuticals. Retains value in processed form, preserved and frozen. The variety has a high keeping quality. Subject to the necessary conditions, the shelf life is increased to 1 year.
- Growing regions. Agriculture is cultivated throughout Russia, and is especially in demand in the Urals and the Siberian region.
- Where to grow. Recommended for planting in open areas or greenhouses. Carrots love sunlight and warm soil. It is also easy to create the necessary conditions in a greenhouse.
- Disease and pest resistance. The variety is immune to diseases and insects. But sometimes carrots succumb to external influences, prone to "flowering".
- Ripening period. The root crop is fully formed 110-120 days after the emergence of the shoots. Its development depends on climate and temperature.
- What kind of soil does he prefer. Boltex carrots grow in any soil - black soil, sandy loam, clayey, rich and scarce, loose and dense. Prefers the nutrient composition of the soil of medium moisture, well loosened and saturated with air.
- Frost resistance and transportability. The hybrid is cold-resistant, tolerates frosts up to -5 degrees and sudden temperature changes. Retains marketable condition during long transportation.
- Manufacturability of the variety. The type of agricultural technology differs for farms and peasant farms. On personal plots, a single-row method is used in narrow beds. In large areas, carrots are planted in wide strips.
Boltex is a first-order hybrid. The authorship of the species belongs to the breeders of the agricultural company Clause (France). The history of the company includes more than 200 years of professional work in breeding and introducing innovations to the market for vegetable producers. Today the company is one of the leading seed companies in the world.
The plant was obtained by direct crossing of maternal varieties. In the new development, selection has significantly improved the qualities and properties of its predecessors. The list of Chantonnay varieties has been supplemented by the productive and high-quality Boltex variety.
What is the difference from other types
- In dense soil, root crops grow straight, without defects.
- Harvesting is easy in dry and rainy weather (carrots pull out well from the soil).
- The foliage is strong and strong.
- The vegetable is evenly colored outside and inside.
- Ripens a week ahead of schedule.
- Used for winter sowing.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of the hybrid:
- resistant to low temperatures;
- high-yielding variety, ripens 2 times a year;
- resistant to shooters and root rot;
- carrots bear fruit on any soil;
- shelf life 12 months without loss of taste.
The disadvantage is the inability to reproduce on its own. (the variety quickly degenerates) and the high cost of seeds.
Features of growing and care
The sowing season of agriculture occurs 2 times - in May and November. In the spring, carrots are planted for storage, and in the winter - for use as vitamins.
To harvest a rich harvest of carrots, you need to prepare the land in a timely manner. It is better to start preparatory work in the fall. - determine the site, add organic or potassium-phosphorus fertilizers to the soil.
It is recommended to change the landing site every year. The crop grows well after cabbage, garlic, potatoes, legumes and tomatoes. The seeds are ready for sowing without soaking.
Be sure to loosen the soil before planting. Make furrows 3 cm deep and saturate them with water, the distance between them is 20-30 cm. Plant the seeds through a 2 cm gap, level the ground and compact. The air temperature should be + 13-19 degrees. When sowing in winter, the soil cannot be moistened.
Carrots should be taken regularly. After the appearance of the first shoots, it is necessary to thin out. Constantly remove weeds, loosen the ground, water abundantly in the evening. Boltex does not need additional fertilizers.
Harvesting and storage
Carrots are harvested in the fall before the onset of frost - in the northern regions by the end of September, and in the southern regions at the twentieth of October. Root crops are dried and the tops are cut off.
The harvest is stored in a cool and dry place - in a cellar or underground at temperatures up to +10 degrees. Carrots are stacked or put in boxes, plastic bags with holes. They are filled with sawdust, sand, garlic / onion peels or lime.
Diseases and pests
Boltex is resistant to disease and carrot fly, but prevention will not hurt. Onions and garlic planted next to carrots repel insects. Helps prevent problem by placing tobacco between rows and applying kerosene to the tops.
If the conditions for planting and caring for the plant are observed, as well as preventive measures are taken, then problems do not arise.
Similar types of vegetables
All varieties of the Shantane cultivar - Royal, Cardinal, Shantane 2461, Red Cor, Charlotte, Royal and others. Similarity of varieties:
- They have the same root crop shape.
- They belong to the mid-season group.
- Increased resistance to external influences.
- Undemanding to the structure of the soil.
- Taste and commercial qualities.
The Boltex variety is a table, unpretentious root crop in cultivation. Growing carrots will not be difficult for gardeners in any region. But a rich harvest depends on the investment of effort - to comply with the rules of agricultural technology, planting conditions and proper care of the crop.