We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A bright and memorable indoor plant - the orchid - flaunts on the windowsill in almost every Russian apartment.
The indoor flower is capricious to care for, but due to its attractive appearance, the orchid is very popular among housewives and avid florists.
In the world, disputes about the safety of the plant do not subside: there is an opinion that an orchid standing on the window can harm the health of households.
Is a flower a predator?
Only one genus of orchids can be classified as carnivorous plants. The genus Porroglossum has about 48 species of predatory orchids that grow in the mountainous regions of South America.
Predatory orchids are distinguished by relatively small inflorescences and long petals. The plant is extremely sensitive to light and physical contact. Predatory orchids have a very powerful fleshy lip that closes instantly when a pollinating insect lands on it.
However, representatives of the genus Porroglossum cannot be called real predators: 25-30 minutes after slamming, the lip opens and releases the insect to freedom. A pollinator that has been locked up for a long time brings out much more pollen on its surface than it could take with a short contact with a flower.
This "predatory" way of contact with the pollinator is due to the fact that Porroglossum orchids live at an altitude of 1500-3000 meters above sea level, where insects are not often found.
Is this plant poisonous or not?
Among the plant species existing today, there are no poisonous representatives.
How is it harmful to the body?
For most people, indoor orchids are not dangerous. The exception is made by people suffering from allergy to the pollen of this plant.
Orchid allergy is accompanied by symptoms:
- redness of the eyes;
- nasal congestion;
- runny nose;
- itching and redness.
If you are allergic to orchid pollen, you should avoid keeping this plant in your living quarters and in the workplace. The scent of the plant attracts blood-sucking insects.
Moreover, some orchid varieties use mosquitoes as primary pollinators... If there is a flowerpot near an open window, the room will soon be filled with insects.
An orchid standing on a bedside table can also impair sleep: in the dark, the flower produces the most intense aroma that interferes with relaxation and sleep.
What is the usefulness of a flower in the house?
People who normally tolerate having an exotic plant at home can fully appreciate the health benefits of an orchid.
The benefits of an exotic flower:
- Positive influence on the psycho-emotional state of family members. In the daytime, the flowers of the plant exude a pleasant delicate aroma that calms the nervous system and improves mood.
- Air disinfection. The plant releases antibacterial components that cleanse the air in the home from pathogens. In particular, orchids produce the substance allicin, a biologically active substance that has a pronounced antibacterial activity.
Orchid in the house - affordable and effective traditional medicine... Medicines based on this plant are used to treat diseases:
- stomatitis and other diseases of the oral cavity;
- nervous disorders;
- diseases of the digestive tract;
- joint diseases;
- arterial hypertension.
In homeopathy, the leaves of the plant are used to prepare tonic preparations.
Impact on human health
Which varieties are harmful?
There are no plant varieties that are absolutely harmful to human health.
However, some species have specific properties and release substances into the air that can cause:
- an allergic reaction;
The following orchid varieties are potentially harmful:
The following varieties are considered the most valuable for human health:
- Dendrobium is golden. Tea made from dry inflorescences of this plant relieves stress, calms, brings the nervous system back to normal.
- Venus Slipper. A decoction of dry leaves eliminates migraines, normalizes the state of the nervous system, and helps to cope with insomnia.
- Orchis. Powder from dried plant tubers is used to restore the tone of the body.
- Lyubka is two-leaved. An infusion of dried tubers improves potency, prevents urological diseases in men.
- Calantha is three-fold. A medicine based on it relieves swelling, treats disorders of the digestive system, relieves pain.
- Anectochilus. Differs in general strengthening properties, has a positive effect on all body systems.
- Acampa. Effective for the treatment of gynecological diseases, as well as joint diseases.
- Dendrobium Nobile. The leaves and roots of the plant help to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal system, soothe pain.
Do not be afraid of myths about the danger of an orchid for human health - in the absence of an allergy to the pollen of this plant, you can safely buy a flower to your home. It is not recommended to put a pot with an orchid in the bedroom and near an open window without a mosquito net - this way you can minimize the possible inconveniences associated with the presence of this exotic plant in the apartment.