We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Geranium Max Fry is one of the most popular representatives of the Geraniev family.
Both its decorative qualities and unpretentiousness to growing conditions are appreciated. Gardeners have called her a universal flower.
This geranium variety boasts not only gorgeous flowering, but also its duration. You will learn about the benefits of the plant and the conditions for caring for it from the article.
Botanical description and history of selection
Max Fry is one of the blood-red geranium varieties... It is a perennial herb from the Geraniev family. Dicotyledonous class. Dwarf variety with an average stem height of 20 cm. Stems are forked-branched, covered with hairs. The leaves are dissected into 5-7 lobes, located on petioles, covered with white hairs below. In the fall, the leaves turn red. Sepals are oblong, have spines at the ends.
The flowers are pink, arranged one or two at a time. Five petals are obovate, with a notch on top. The fractional fruit breaks up into single-seeded parts. The flowering period is June-August. Propagated by seeds and vegetatively. Areal:
Description of appearance and photo
Max Fry - short perennial geranium... This is one of the varieties of blood-red geranium, which naturally grows in deciduous forests, in illuminated glades, on limestones.
The name geranium blood red or blood red is not associated with color. This is the name of a plant species that includes several varieties. Depending on the variety, the flowers of the blood-red geranium are pink, white, crimson shades.
Max Fry's flowers are densely strewn with the bush. The diameter of the flower is 3-4 cm. The petals are deep pink with purple vertical veins. In place of a wilted flower, a fruit is formed, which outlines resemble the beak of a crane.
The leaves are deeply dissected into 5-7 lobes, green with a shiny surface, white pubescence underneath. Unlike other species, the leaf edges are more rounded. In autumn, some of the leaves acquire a red tint, which gives the plant additional attractiveness. For the winter, foliage does not fall.
Max Fry bushes look decorative because of their spherical shape and many bright flowers protruding from the foliage.
Distinctive features, advantages and disadvantages
The variety in question has a number of advantages and is practically devoid of disadvantages.
- Cold resistance. Will survive the frost without loss. Doesn't need shelter for the winter.
- Drought resistance, does not require constant watering. Suitable for summer residents who come to the garden on weekends.
- Easy to care for. Even novice gardeners can cope with the cultivation of the variety.
- Decorativeness. The correct spherical shape of the bushes, compactness, many bright flowers, a long flowering period attract landscape designers and florists.
- Versatility. It is a ceremonial variety, can be used on flower beds, on alpine slides, in borders, when decorating a rabatka.
- A perennial capable of growing without transplant for a decade and a half.
- Does not tolerate high humidity. Roots will rot in wetlands.
- Not suitable for shady areas.
Max Fry does not bloom in the absence of sunlight... This is a light-loving plant.
Max Fry has few downsides. They are due to the fact that not all parts of the garden are suitable for planting.
Where and how to plant it?
This variety is not too picky. But certain landing conditions must be observed.
Lighting and location
When choosing a place for geraniums, consider the following qualities:
- Photophilousness... Max Fry will do well in sunny or slightly shaded areas. In the shade, stems and leaves will grow, but lush flowering will not work.
- Drought tolerance... Geranium will not require you to water every day. It can be planted both in a flower garden and in a rockery, on an alpine slide, or even in flowerpots on the roof of a mansion. But the plant does not tolerate excessive moisture.
Max Fry is not suitable for places in dense shade of trees or in lowlands with wet soil.
If you do decide to plant this crop in the lowlands, a retaining wall should be built for it to avoid waterlogging.
The species is unpretentious to the composition of the soil. But it is desirable that the land is loose, with good drainage. Loamy and sandy loam soils rich in lime are best suited.
- Acquire planting material. It should be a healthy, dense rhizome with adventitious roots. Store in a refrigerator at a temperature of about +2 ° C. Once every two weeks, slightly moisturize, make sure that there is no decay.
- Planting is carried out in the spring when the soil has warmed up. About 30 cm is left between the bushes. Planting rate is 4-6 copies per 1 square meter. Dig a narrow but deep hole to fit the entire rhizome.
- The planting material is placed in the hole, avoiding bending the roots. Fall asleep with earth.
- Water abundantly.
- They are fed with mineral fertilizers.
- Weed to protect against weeds.
The planting hole must be deep to accommodate the long geranium root.
This type of geranium is planted both singly and in groups with other garden flowers. Due to its short stature and the correct shape of the bushes, Max Fry looks great in combination with many flower crops.
Features of care and reproduction
Max Frye has the following growing characteristics:
- For several years, does not need to divide the bushes and transplant... In one place it can grow up to 15 years.
- Weeding... Removing weeds is important the first time after planting. In the future, weeding will not be needed, geranium itself inhibits the weeds.
- Watering... Frequent and plentiful after disembarkation. Gradual decline. In hot and dry weather, the number of these procedures increases. Withered foliage indicates that the plant does not have enough water.
- Removing dried flowers... This is necessary to stimulate flowering. After their removal, new flowers will appear in the place of wilted ones.
- Fertilizer... It grows well even without feeding. But in the spring you can use mineral fertilizers.
- Preparing for winter... Before freezing, the shoots are cut off. No additional cover is required.
- Protection against diseases and pests... Thanks to essential oils, geranium is resistant to pests. When affected by powdery mildew, Bordeaux liquid is used. If brown spots are found on the leaves, it is necessary to treat with fungicides.
Blood-red geranium reproduces both by seeds and by dividing the rhizome. Considering that Max Fry is a varietal geranium, the seeds may not retain all maternal qualities. Therefore, for planting, a vegetative propagation method is preferable, by dividing the bush.
Max Fry is a wonderful variety of geranium, which is suitable both for creating intricate landscape compositions and for ordinary flower beds and flower beds. Even an inexperienced summer resident can handle the cultivation. Observing simple conditions of care, you will receive a wonderful decoration of the garden area. Neat bushes with bright flowers will delight you all summer long.