We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Is this the first time you come across this concept or do you know everything about orchids? In any case, the article will be useful and informative.
It will help answer the questions about what the growth point is, where it is located and why it is needed, why the tip of the main shoot may be absent. And also given useful recommendations for caring for a plant that does not have this part of the plant and creating favorable conditions for plant growth.
What is it: description and photo
The growing point is the tip of the main shoot, through which the plant develops; it has new axillary roots and flower buds.
During the dormant period, it is a funnel located between the upper leaves of the orchid. And during active development (growing season), it is visible at the top of the rosette. As new light green shoots.
Monopodial orchids (which are found in many homes) have one growth point. Their stem develops slowly, but the leaves are thick and fleshy. And they form faster in the upper part of the flower; grow upright.
But there are also orchids that have several of these points. And their multiple shoots grow in a horizontal position. They are called sympodial. And they look like creeping vines.
Below is a photo:
The growth point is located between the top leaves of the orchid. At their junction.
What is the role?
It is an essential part of any plant. The growth point is directly related to reproduction. Also, thanks to her, aerial roots, peduncles, leaves appear. And fresh shoots that help to lengthen the stem of the orchid. The flower grows. Natural full-fledged development takes place.
If not, what does it mean?
Have sympodial orchids. Since they have several growth points, after flowering, some of them die off, and the shoots stop growing. This is a normal natural process.
However, everything is different with monopodials. This means that such a flower will not give new shoots and buds. He is unable to obtain nutrients.
The dryness of the rosette of such an orchid needs to be monitored more carefully. It is important that no water gets into it. Otherwise, the decay process will begin.
Reasons for absence
- From sunburn. The intense light burns the young leaves, stems and flowers of an unaccustomed plant.
- Due to excess moisture. How it happens: during watering, water remains in the axils of the leaves; and when the conditions for the plant are such as lack of lighting and low room temperature, excess moisture is retained in it for a long time. That is, the core rots.
- Due to mechanical damage. The pot could fall and the stems could be damaged. And if you leave the orchid in this state, then this will also cause the growth point to die out.
- Due to fungal and bacterial infections. This is possible when the parameters of the indoor climate are violated.
- Due to pest damage. For insects, young shoots are important, which are still soft and store useful nutrients. Sucking the juice from the orchid, they weaken its immunity. Therefore, viruses and fungi that have settled on the plant lead to the death of the growth point.
A coreless orchid does not survive in all cases. Since in this state, she becomes vulnerable. But if you follow the instructions for its restoration, then there is a chance that the flower will sprout and continue to develop.
What to do to restore the plant?
- The first is to find out the reason for this position of the orchid (the options were listed above). If it is not serious (minor mechanical damage or sunburn of young leaves), then the next step is to change living conditions. Rearranging to a shaded place. And control watering. It is important to avoid water retention in the leaf axils.
- However, if the cause is serious (decay or infection), then it is necessary to remove the damaged areas to healthy tissue.
Pruning tools must be clean and disinfected. Use - a garden pruner or a sharp knife.
- Removing the core is an extreme case. But, provided that the disease has reached this part, the procedure is mandatory.
- For the next step, you need ground cinnamon or activated carbon. They process all the sections (it is also possible to do this with brilliant green or iodine).
- Next, make a 0.2% solution of Fundazol or Topsin. And give them a thorough disinfection of the flower (pour it into the wounds) and soil. This process is carried out from 3 times with a break of 14 days. And also after that it is important to observe the plant. If the disease recurs, the procedure will have to be resumed.
Also, if 1 month has passed from the date of pruning of the orchid, then its development can be stimulated. One of the drugs is Zircon. It relieves stress in the plant and restores immunity after diseases. Other drugs: succinic acid, Epin-Extra.
Prevention and care
Its essence is to create favorable conditions. Whether it has been damaged or not, you should follow simple tips for its content:
- A western or eastern sill is the best location for an orchid. On the south, create a shadow. And on the northern one, install additional lighting.
- Observe the temperature regime. During active growth and development (vegetation) + 22 ° С, during dormancy not lower than + 10 ° С.
- Make sure that the plant is not near drafts or air conditioners. Or close to heating radiators, as the air is dry near them.
- Maintain a humidity regime of about 50-60%. And also you need regular spraying. And after 30-40 minutes after watering, wipe the leaves with a dry napkin to absorb excess moisture.
- Watering the orchid takes place once every 7 or 10 days (when the soil is completely dry). It is necessary to immerse the pots in warm water for 20-30 minutes.
- After a shower, do not put the flower in a cold room. Leave it in the bathroom overnight.
Prevention and care tips will help your orchid feel better. And the instructions on the steps to restore it will tell you what to do with the damaged flower. And even if the plant does not have a growth point, then, using the recommendations above, its condition can be improved. And the orchid will continue to delight you day by day.
From the video you will learn what the growth point of the phalaenopsis orchid is: